Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Inspect, maintain, adjust, modify, repair and test all mine mobile equipment and to dismantle and assemble same as required
POSITION REPORTS TO: Maintenance Supervisor- Mobile
POSITIONS REPORTING DIRECTLY TO THIS POSITION: None
- Works in compliance with First Nickel Inc. safety rules and the internal responsibility System.
- Must be physically able to conduct the assigned work such as walking up and down ramps, ladders and stairways, working in active work headings, conduct lifting, pulling on heavy parts. Must be able to conduct general check scaling.
- Participates in appropriate training and complies within the scope of their responsibilities within the Environmental Management System.
- Communicates with the Mechanical Coordinator on issues pertaining to materials/parts availability, maintenance systems, modifications to equipment and changes in standard practices. Advise planners and arranges to have material and parts shipped to surface for rebuilding or disposal.
- Receive oral and/or written instructions from the supervisor including schematics, sketches, wiring diagrams and priority requirements.
- Follows established, safe procedures, for instance: Five Point Safety system and P.P.E. in adjusting, repairing, servicing and assembling/disassembling of mechanical equipment.
- In shop areas maintain housekeeping at standard, to provide a safe working environment.
- Troubleshoot equipment using testers and instruments and referring to repair manuals, schematics or diagrams as necessary.
- Performs preventive maintenance by inspecting, adjusting, lubricating, repairing or replacing faulty components on mechanical equipment.
- Tests repaired equipment or component for correct operating performance.
- Reports to supervision any development which, if left unchecked could result in a premature breakdown or if the result could lead to an unsafe condition, take immediate appropriate action.
- Communicates orally and/or in writing, requirements to the maintenance planner for work orders and parts and material requirements and keeps his supervisor advised of these requirements.
- Report to supervision and in various log books and work orders, the equipment worked on, the parts used or repaired, and the type of work performed.
- Utilizes the computerized Maintenance Management System to; access equipment and warehouse information, to generate requests for materials required, and to initiate work orders for immediate an “to be planned’ work.
- 15. Performs other related duties as requested.
Qualifications and Skills Requirements
A combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school, or any other combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, also is acceptable
About First Nickel Inc.
First Nickel is one ofCanada's premier nickel /copper companies with near term production from the Lockerby Mine Project in the Sudbury Mining Camp. The Company has high quality exploration projects and has successfully increased the Probable Reserves at its Lockerby Mine five-fold since it was acquired in 2005.